Gift Shop Lead Retail Clerk
Reports To: Gift Shop Manager
Summary: This is a responsible leadership role and administrative work in a gift shop. Responsible for the quality of the guest experience in the Mission. An employee in this class is responsible for the efficient operation of a quality retail sales operation. Responsibilities are performed with a level of independence and are reviewed periodically. Forecasts of volume are prepared and criteria for operating results are established. Plans for the sales promotion and market development are formulated and implemented after management review. Inventory controls are managed, and merchandise is purchased under the general concept of markets served and sales potential. Safeguard of exhibits, help to maintain cleanliness of the Mission facility, leads the front desk and admission procedures, and gift shop sales.
Work Schedule and Conditions: Week-long availability between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. This position will require employee to work a minimum of 24 hours per week. Weekend work is required. Requires standing and moving throughout the shop for extended periods of time and are occasionally required to assist lifting and carrying heavy materials. Ability to work in a busy and noisy environment.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties include, but are not limited to:
Supervises daily operation of a gift shop; meets, greets, and assists public in selecting gifts and other merchandise; supervises staff also engaged in service to the public, selling, providing tour information, and assisting buyers.
- Providing the highest standards of customer service and visitor experience.
- Representing in a professional manner when responding to questions and concerns of the guests and volunteers using positive communication skills.
- Communicating effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to uphold Mission rules and be diplomatic in dealing with the public and volunteers.
- Skills in judging when to refer incidents to management.
- Providing an organized on-the-job staff training program.
- Keeping records and making administrative and personnel reports, as necessary.
- Supervising and coordinating the work of assigned staff; planning staff work schedules according to projected business levels.
- Organizing plan for the display and presentation of merchandise with consideration to established marketing plan and for effective support of sales.
- Changing displays regularly with a consideration to buying audience and season; supervises and works with staff stocking and displaying merchandise.
- Supervises cashiering and receipting the sale of merchandise by cash and charge transactions and performs such duties as required; oversees sales records and makes daily reports.
- Supervises and participates in the inventory of merchandise and stock, extends and prices inventory.
- Assists the buyer, meeting with vendors and product representatives to select marketable goods and gifts appropriate to the potential buying audience, season of the year and recognized customer demand.
- Maintains product quality levels in conformity with the institutional image and audience served.
- Working with staff to offer excellent educational programming and experiences for the guests.
- Facilitates interpretive exhibition programming for children and families and coordinates with State Park public programs or other special events.
- Efficiently operating tour and admission procedures and sales.
- Daily checking of the Mission front, store, museum, church, and restrooms for good operating conditions and relaying any issues to management.
- Reporting conditions of the exhibits to the appropriate staff and performing first-line response to ensure the exhibits are safe for visitors.
- Accessing how to utilize Mission resources and staff support to perform work.
- Ensuring gallery spaces are properly cleaned, organized and materials stored in appropriate areas. Opening and closing of exhibit areas, preparing materials for daily use.
- Participating in special activities and other projects as needed and related to duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Prior experience in guest services, education, or mission operations or an equivalent combination of relevant prior work experience and education.
- Must enjoy working with children and families, have pleasant personality, good interpersonal skills, and professional appearance.
- Organizational and administrative skills.
- Knowledge of Catholic religious practices and devotions a plus.
- Crowd control, theft, or security monitoring experience a plus.
- Must have a commitment to diversity.
- Work as a team player and be willing to follow Mission management goals.
- Good judgment in daily activities with limited supervision.
- At least 21 years or older.
- High school diploma- required.
Materials and equipment used: Computer skills, managing ticketing website, Word, Facebook, Excel, online webpage management for store, tablet, copier, cash register, scanner, and point of sale systems, and inventory management skills.
Job Type: Part-time
- Mission volunteer, customer service, public service, restaurant, or tourism: 2 years (Required)
- High school diploma is required, some college preferred.
- Bilingual- speaking, is required; reading and writing in Spanish is helpful.